File VersioningThe following instructions explain which settings are needed in the Profile Properties for data backup with file versioning.
1. InformationFile versioning allows you to save a certain number of backups for each individual file, regardless of how often you back up your data.
Every file that has to be overwritten or deleted during a data backup is saved with a consecutive file extension (".0001", ".0002", etc.) in a separate backup folder. When the maximum number of backups per file has been reached, the oldest backup file with the extension ".0001" is always deleted and all other files are renamed accordingly.
For example, if you have carried out 50 data backups in a week and the 'info.txt' file was only changed 7 times this week, then the 7 backups of this file are still in the backup folder.
2. ProfileCreate a new profile. If the Profile Wizard opens, exit it by clicking on
3. Copy modeSelect 1:1 copy copy mode.
4. Source and destination foldersIn the left menu select Folders.
- In the source folder list add the folder containing the data to backup.
- In the destination folder list add the folder in which the backup is to be saved.
5. File VersioningIn the left menu below Options, select Data Protection.
- In the
Backup Foldersection you can specify the folder in which the files are to be saved.
- In the
Subfoldersection, uncheck the
Create subfolder in backup folderoption.
- Activate the
Create Backup Generationsoption in the
Backup Generationssection and define the number of backups per file under
6. Saving your settingsYou have now completed all the requisite settings. Conclude by clicking on
OK. Now you can create a copy preview of the profile and examine the results of the settings you have made.